Saturday 13 October 2012

Copies and emulations

For my first artist I decided to copy and emulate Ekaterina Koroleva

Here is some of her work: 

For the copy I used inks, pencil (HB & 4B), graphite pencil, acrylic paint, scalpel

Work in progress shots:

create an animated gif
I had to stand on a stool to make the ink splashes. By having them fall from a bigger height the splashes were far more effective

Cutting out the pattern for the top using a scalpel

Original
My copy












































































I then made an emulation of Koroleva's work: 

create an animated gif

I used the same materials and tried to copy her drawing style. To make it my own instead of doing ink splashes I let the ink run down the page.

Untitled

I also copied a something in the same form as mine: an Interview magazine cover

Series of interview magazines:





David Bowie for Herb Ritts.
Original cover

























































I tried to recreate the above cover image using lighting, a lace doily (to create the shadow) and then altered the saturation and levels in Photoshop. I also made the eye whiter to make it more similar to the original. 

Holding the doily in front of the light to create a shadow
Original photograph
create an animated gif

Finished copy





































Emulation of the interview cover:


Original photograph



Black lace pattern I wrapped the image with
How I did it:

I took a photograph I took of my friend and some lace and wrapped the lace pattern around the face in photoshop. I did this by first de-saturating thephotograph and altering the levels of contrast to elimate some of the grey tones. Next, I applied a Gaussian blur and created a displacement map. Once I'd done this I just experimented with the blending modes until I found one I liked best. I settled for Linear Dodge (Add), and then once again I altered the levels to bring out the lace pattern better.

Work in progress: 

free gif creators

Finished emulation: 




No comments:

Post a Comment